From September 26-29, 2016 the big data community meet at Strata + Hadoop World in NYC. This year data Artisans will take part in several ways at the conference. For the first time we will have a booth at the conference (#P2), and will be demonstrating Apache Flink® and our brand new dA Platform. Stop by to connect with Apache Flink experts and learn more about implementing enterprise-grade streaming data applications in production.
A team of original Apache Flink® contributors founded data Artisans in 2014 because we believed that existing data processing frameworks weren’t adequately addressing the needs of organizations and their engineering teams. From the global saturation of smartphones, to the rapid adoption of the Internet of Things and connected devices, the very nature of data and how it is generated had evolved far more quickly than the tools available to manage that data.
While most of the Continent was away on holiday, it was a productive August for data Artisans and for the Apache Flink® community. Here are highlights from the past month, and we can’t wait to see what the rest of 2016 has in store.
Apache Flink 1.1
There were many long-awaited features included in the Flink community’s 1.1 release, which was supported by 95 contributors. If you haven’t already, we recommend that you browse the release notes. Here are a few of the highlights:
- Metrics: In most conversations we have about Flink, someone will mention the need for deeper operational metrics, and the community delivered a comprehensive metrics system that makes it easy to gather metrics and expose them to external systems.
- Table API and SQL: The architecture of the Table API has been reworked completely in Flink 1.1, and the API has been integrated with Apache Calcite™.
- Connectors: Flink 1.1 adds support for continuous file processing, Amazon Kinesis source & sink connectors, and a sink connector for Apache Cassandra™.
Say hello to members of our team in India, Germany, and the USA
Here’s a quick rundown of where you can find members of the data Artisans team in September 2016. If you want to see where we’ll be traveling throughout the rest of the year, check out our Events page.
We hope to get to meet many members of the Apache Flink® and stream processing communities in person this month.
- VLDB (New Delhi, India), Sept 5-9: data Artisans software engineer Kostas Kloudas will be presenting an Apache Flink® training. Attendees will have a chance to get hands on with Flink during the session.
- Flink Forward (Berlin, Germany), Sept 12-14: Have we mentioned that we’re excited about Flink Forward? The entire data Artisans team will be in attendance. Hope to see you there.
- Data Driven NYC (New York City, USA), Sept 27: For all of our East Coast friends, data Artisans CEO Kostas Tzoumas will be a speaker at this month’s event.
- Strata + Hadoop World (New York City, USA), Sept 26-29: Kostas Tzoumas, Director of Applications Engineering Jamie Grier, and Product Manager Mike Winters will attend this year’s Strata + Hadoop World NYC. More to come about where you can find us inside the conference.