August 2016 in Review: Apache Flink® 1.1, Flink Forward announcements, and more
Posted on Sep 5th, 2016 by Michael Winters
While most of the Continent was away on holiday, it was a productive August for data Artisans and for the Apache Flink® community. Here are highlights from the past month, and we can’t wait to see what the rest of 2016 has in store.
Apache Flink 1.1
There were many long-awaited features included in the Flink community’s 1.1 release, which was supported by 95 contributors. If you haven’t already, we recommend that you browse the release notes. Here are a few of the highlights:
- Metrics: In most conversations we have about Flink, someone will mention the need for deeper operational metrics, and the community delivered a comprehensive metrics system that makes it easy to gather metrics and expose them to external systems.
- Table API and SQL: The architecture of the Table API has been reworked completely in Flink 1.1, and the API has been integrated with Apache Calcite™.
- Connectors: Flink 1.1 adds support for continuous file processing, Amazon Kinesis source & sink connectors, and a sink connector for Apache Cassandra™.
Flink Forward 2016: Keynotes and Panel
We’re just over a week away from Flink Forward 2016 in Berlin, Germany, which kicks off on Monday, September 12. In August, conference organizers announced this year’s keynotes and panel discussion. Attendees will hear stream processing words of wisdom from:
- Alibaba Director Xiaowei Jiang
- data Artisans co-founders Kostas Tzoumas and Stephen Ewen and data Artisans Director of Applications Engineering Jamie Grier
- MapR Chief Application Architect Ted Dunning
- Netflix Senior Software Engineer Monal Daxini
- Uber Staff Engineer Maxim Fateev
It’s not too late to register for the event! We hope to see many members of the Flink community there.
(End of) Summer Reading
For those interested in learning more about Apache Flink® and how it fits into the broader ecosystem, check out these two recent posts from the data Artisans blog:
- Apache Flink and Apache Kafka Streams: A Comparison and Guideline for Users (co-authored with Confluent, Inc. CTO Neha Narkhede and cross-posted on the Confluent blog)
- Robust Stream Processing with Apache Flink®: A Simple Walkthrough
Where in the world is data Artisans?
Members of the data Artisans team will be traveling the globe throughout the rest of the year. Our Events page has been updated, and we’d love to meet with anyone who’d like to talk about Apache Flink and stream processing.